Habakkuk 3:17-18

"Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vine, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stall, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior."

Friday, October 24, 2008

Choosing Joy

Pastor Dave brought forth some good points concerning joy:

1. Happiness is an emotion that is dependent upon your circumstances.
2. Joy is a decision that is indepenent of your circumstances.

After the miscarriage last May, I expected there to be grieving, but what I didn't know was how strong and powerful that grief would be 4 and even 5 months down the road! I would think...and think...and think...and it became a downward spiral. I've been working on trusting God, working on remembering that He's in charge - not me, (as a friend put it, "I'm not in charge, so I might as well become good buddies with the One who is!"), working on understanding how he ordains suffering for a reason - not always for me to understand.
At church I heard the words - "Happiness is dependent on our circumstances" but JOY is a decision that is INDEPENDENT of your circumstances."

So...Joy is a decision...

I may not be happy that I am not going to have a baby when I was "supposed to". However, it is up to me to choose whether or not I will be joyful anyway. I may not know what the future holds, but knowing WHO holds it is comforting.

Some insightful things from Pastor Dave:
A joyful spirit is not dependent upon outward circumstances but on a upward focus.

A joyful spirit in your struggle will have greater impact than any words spoken out of strength.

A joyful spirit takes life and trusts God one day at a time. (Psalm 118:24)

Psalm 137 is a Psalm of grief. The people couldn't get over what they lost and they stopped rejoicing. I don't want that to be me. (I think that's why the sermon had such an impact on me.) I will live a life with a "defiant nevertheless"....Nevertheless I will rejoice in the Lord - in any circumstance.


Blessed be the name of the Lord, Blessed be His Name,
He gives and takes away
My heart will choose to say,
Lord Blessed be Your name.

No comments: